In today’s world, many people are looking for ways to burn calories easily and effectively without spending hours at the gym. Fortunately, planks are one of the most effective exercises for burning calories and toning your muscles. Here are five reasons why planks are great for burning calories:
1. Planks Activate Multiple Muscle Groups
Planks are a compound exercise that activates multiple muscle groups including your abs, arms, chest, back, and legs. When you hold a plank, your body is in a static position that requires you to engage these muscles. This can help you burn more calories compared to other exercises that only target one muscle group.
2. Planks Boost Your Metabolism
One of the best things about planks is that they can help you boost your metabolism, which is the rate at which your body burns calories. When you hold a plank, your body burns more calories compared to sitting or standing still. Additionally, planks can help you build lean muscle mass, which can further boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories throughout the day.
3. Planks Improve Your Core Strength
Another great benefit of planks is that they can help you improve your core strength. Your core includes the muscles in your abdomen, lower back, and hips, which are essential for maintaining good posture and balance. When you hold a plank, you engage these muscles, which can help you improve your core strength and stability.
4. Planks Reduce the Risk of Injury
Planks are a low-impact exercise that can help you build strength and endurance without putting a lot of stress on your joints. Unlike high-impact exercises like running or jumping, planks are gentle on your body and can help you reduce the risk of injury. Additionally, planks can help you improve your posture, which can also help you reduce the risk of back pain.
5. Planks Can Be Done Anywhere
One of the best things about planks is that you don’t need any equipment to do them. You can do planks anywhere, whether you’re at home, in the office, or at the park. All you need is a small space and a mat or towel to cushion your hands and feet.
Overall, planks are an excellent exercise for burning calories, improving core strength, and reducing the risk of injury. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced athlete, planks can help you achieve your fitness goals and improve your overall health and well-being.
Table: Calories Burned during Plank Exercise
|Body Weight||Calories Burned per Minute|
Tips for Doing Planks Correctly
- Start in a forearm plank position with your elbows directly under your shoulders and your forearms flat on the ground.
- Engage your abs and glutes to keep your body in a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Hold the plank for as long as you can, aiming for at least 30 seconds.
- Take short breaks between planks to rest and then continue with the exercise.
- Increase the intensity of your planks by adding variations such as side planks or plank jacks.